The Solihull Town Centre low-carbon heat network and district energy feasibility study was funded & supported by Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council and the Heat Networks Delivery Unit (HNDU) of the Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS).
The aim of the study was to identify potential low-carbon heat network schemes in the town centre, in order to serve existing buildings and planned developments. Options were evaluated against a range of technical, financial, sustainability and risk criteria to determine recommended scheme options for progression to detailed feasibility assessment. This was followed by the completion of the detailed feasibility assessment, along with the provision of techno-economic modelling for the preferred scheme option.
We were commissioned to provide the following services:
- High level technical and financial appraisal of potential low carbon district heating, power and cooling scheme options
- Identification of scheme options, providing appropriate technical, financial, sustainability information to support the decision of recommending projects to be progressed
- Stakeholder engagement to assess appetite for a district energy network in the area
- Technical feasibility study, including concept design of the council’s preferred scheme
- Undertake detailed techno-economic modelling and the delivery of a transparent, user-friendly model
- Provision of key financial modelling, governance and implementation-related advice to determine the best approach for delivering the recommended scheme
A heat network served by a combination of a multi-megawatt air source heat pump and gas CHP engine (supplying electricity to the heat pump and a small private wire network) was identified as the preferred option. At a length of 5.8 km, the network serves council and other public sector sites & planned developments, and private sector hotels, offices and retail buildings.
We are continuing to work with Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council to deliver the scheme by providing detailed project development with design and financial modelling.